The world record attempt

Grab a pint. This is for all the things we want to share but have no place else on the forums to go.

The world record attempt

Postby Dru » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:19 pm

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/Sea ... -show-team
This is the one we're going for, only we're planning to go from 0900 friday to 0900 monday over i43, that's 72 hours. That's as much info as I have atm. I'm going to email the guiness world record people tomorrow.

If anyone wants to help, sorting out sponsorship is our main concern right now.
Last edited by Dru on Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dru
Administrator
Administrator

Re: The world record attempt

Postby mr-potz » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:37 pm

can I suggest doing something really crazy? not saying we have to do this but, thought of tying it in with doing the worlds longest gaming marathon of some type at the same time?  bit crazy i know but http://www.worldrecordsacademy.org/game ... 12133.html
Last edited by mr-potz on Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
[img width=400 height=60]http://staff.g3-radio.net/shared/sigs/PotzSigBanner.png[/img]
mr-potz
Administrator
Administrator

Postby blobbin » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:19 pm

I think one record is enough for us...
Robin Hagley
G3 Presenter
Tuesday - 19:00 - 22:00 GMT
Bringing a unique twist to Radio Presenting

[img:a6fwbrut]http://g3-radio.net/Sigs/Blobbin.jpg[/img:a6fwbrut]
blobbin

Postby mr-potz » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:28 pm

haha yeah that's cool just had a random crazy moment
[img width=400 height=60]http://staff.g3-radio.net/shared/sigs/PotzSigBanner.png[/img]
mr-potz
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dru » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:47 pm

Like blobs said, I think that might be a bit much. I'll let you all know when I hear back from tGBoR, but for the mean time, you can put your energies into thinking about who to approch for sponsorship and advertising.
Dru
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dru » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:07 am

Right, I got details of the record and what we need to do right before i42 and this is the first time I've been able to focus on it.

These are the specific guidelines we need to follow, c&p from the mail GWR sent me:
1. The team of DJs/announcers must not exceed 5 people.

2. All participants are responsible for talking throughout the attempt.

3. There must be no pause in conversations for more than 10 seconds.

4. The DJs/announcers should read all other items normally broadcast except for regular short weather bulletins, traffic reports, short news summaries, and music, which may be read by the usual station personnel. However, the combined time of these additional items should not exceed 10 minutes in any one hour.

5. Pre-recorded commercials may be played but their combined time must not exceed 8 minutes in one hour.

6. The programme must be live. No pre-recording is allowed: at no time may the recorded voice of the contestant be broadcast.

7. Normal studio equipment should be used throughout the attempt.

8. No talk show item, topic or segment, may be repeated in the broadcast within three hours. A list of all items must be maintained.

9. The DJs are allowed to have guests during the attempt, but they must be interviewed in a normal radio manner. And no guest is allowed to speak continuously for more than a minute.

10. The event should be broadcast live from the radio studio.

11. All breaks and activities must be taken together, by all participants.

So what this means:
* We need 5 people to dj for the event, of which none are under 16 and those 16-18 have parental permission
* we need 2 others to keep logs of what's happened (like the timing of breaks)
* we need two 'experienced timekeepers' with a stopwatch apiece that are accurate to 0.01 seconds to time the event
* we need a video camera mounted in a stationary position when we do the attempt, that has a good overview of the area and can also see a large clock
* we need at least 4 independent witnesses, to work in shifts of 4 hours. The specifics of this are outlined below:
1) Where relevant, at least one of the witnesses should be qualified (or an official) in the record subject area e.g. a vet for animal records.

2) Preferably, the witnesses must have ‘standing’ in the local community, meaning that they must be prominent and respected. Examples of such persons include: Justices of the Peace; police officers; judges; mayors or town councillors; Members of Parliament; doctors; ordained ministers of religion; newspaper editors etc. We understand that this is not always possible (especially in the case of endurance marathons), so we would accept statements so long as the witnesses are truly independent. (see below)

3) Except where both the witnesses are members of the same professional body, or are officials of a national sporting organisation (or similar), the witnesses must be independent of each other as well as independent of the person(s) attempting the record. Independent means that they are not
normally associated with, or related to, the record organisers or participants, nor have anything to gain from the attempt e.g. bar owners where the event is taking place would not be deemed ‘independent’ as they have something to gain from the publicity of the record.

4) These statements of authentication may not take the form of pre-prepared printed statements that are simply completed by the witness. Each statement must be compiled by the witnesses themselves, and must be signed in their own hand. Each statement must include full contact information (name, address, telephone number, employment details and/or e-mail address) and should be on headed notepaper, where possible. 5) The statements should confirm that the guidelines have been followed and state the exact details pertaining to how the record is quantified - dimensions, participants involved, etc. along with the date, location, record title and holder.

6) For record attempts that take place over several hours or days, it is possible for more than two witnesses to be present in ‘shifts’. However, all the witnesses must meet the criteria set out above and must submit statements as described above in chronological order, where possible. Each statement
must make clear exactly when that particular witness was ‘on duty’. There should always be at least two independent witnesses present at any time.

* If we want to have an adjudicator present (and Damage can't get us a free one) we need to pay around £4,500 per day, plus expenses. So we need to think of people to approach for sponsorship money and/ or fundraising ideas.

* We should probably have a first aider on stand-by. I think Ternix mentioned something about getting himself qualified, but otherwise we can probably approach St John's Ambulance.

* I will email Dentist and Damage regarding the attempt and see if they can give us any extra space, or what else they can do, as well as finding out who I need to contact regarding content.

Is there anything I'm missing, or anything anyone wants to mention? Anyone want to volunteer for any part? I think Lorc, Crace and I are pretty much default so that leaves two more spaces. I would suggest Blobs and Potz.
Dru
Administrator
Administrator

Postby mr-potz » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:16 pm

n'awww i'm touched :') i plan to be there so sounds good to me :) and dnt think anything's been missed, i'll look through carefully later :)
mr-potz
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Danielisacrab » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:24 pm

I'll do anything tasked to me...
[img width=400 height=60]http://staff.g3-radio.net/shared/sigs/CrabSigBanner.png[/img]
Danielisacrab

Postby kane » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:58 pm

I can witness if needed
kane

Postby blobbin » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:58 am

I'd quite happily take on the role, but on one condition. We start planning the 72 hours now, because in all honesty, there is a hell of a lot of stuff to be planned in such little time. So lets get our ass in gear and go and sort it out now.
Robin Hagley
G3 Presenter
Tuesday - 19:00 - 22:00 GMT
Bringing a unique twist to Radio Presenting

[img:a6fwbrut]http://g3-radio.net/Sigs/Blobbin.jpg[/img:a6fwbrut]
blobbin

Postby Dru » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:15 pm

[quote=""Blobbin":2amw465t"] So lets get our ass in gear and go and sort it out now.[/quote:2amw465t]What d'you think I'm doing numnuts :P

Also Krem, you can't witness because: 'Independent means that they are [b:2amw465t]not normally associated with... the record organisers or participants[/b:2amw465t]' But you can compile the log books.

Basically from what I can tell is that you'd need to log when we take our breaks (an aside, looks like we can't tag-team it, we all have to break at the same time), log when songs/ sweepers are played and therefore how much time they take up in a given hour.

The MPUK guys have an extended weekend so I won't hear anything back from them until at least Wednesday.

In all I think we're going to need 9 people from the station and these 4 witnesses, though I'm not sure if we still need them if we have an adjudicator.

Also, I have some stats from Panda, so I'm going to try and compile a attractive list of averages we can show to potential sponsors about how awesome we are and therefore they should give us money.
Dru
Administrator
Administrator

Postby armeagle » Fri May 06, 2011 6:00 pm

Hmm I read the following two points and think they either need clarification, or special attention from you guys.

[quote:f8dr3vha]6. The programme must be live. No pre-recording is allowed: at no time may the recorded voice of the contestant be broadcast.[/quote:f8dr3vha]
So, no sweepers (/heck, songs?) spoken/sung by any of the DJs.

[quote:f8dr3vha]9. The DJs are allowed to have guests during the attempt, but they must be interviewed in a normal radio manner. And no guest is allowed to speak continuously for more than a minute.[/quote:f8dr3vha]
Just 1 minute? That can be pretty short in some cases. If I think back to that interview of that FortressCraft game, I'm pretty sure he might have gone on for a bit longer than that a few times. So, you'll need to have a stopwatch starting every time you stop talking, just to be sure. I guess you really have to watch out for this, especially when you start getting really tired.
armeagle
Epic Donator
Epic Donator

Postby Dru » Fri May 06, 2011 6:16 pm

Uuuh, good points arm, I'll add that to my list.
Dru
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dru » Thu May 12, 2011 11:37 am

I heard back about some of the points that Lorc raised and this is the response:
[quote=""GWR":3hwn9as7"]The rest breaks are the only time in which participants may use the toilet and must all be taken at the same time.

There should not be a principal DJ, please see rule 2:

2.All participants are responsible for talking throughout the attempt.

Therefore, all team members should have an equal contribution to the record.

You are permitted to use a mobile studio set up, providng rule 7 is adhered to:
7.Normal studio equipment should be used throughout the attempt[/quote:3hwn9as7]
Point one could be an issue, but I guess we'd discuss how we'd take our breaks on the days.
Point two should alleviate lorcs concerns about being able to keep going. This is again something we should schedule closer to the time perhaps.

I will email them re arm's concerns later today.

Also got an email back from Dentist. I've asked for confirmation, but it looks like we can get 5 press passes for each of us taking part in the attempt. He did say however anything else we might need for this will need to be sorted out closer to the time, given the newbury vs telford thing atm.
Dru
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dru » Mon May 16, 2011 3:46 pm

Arm, I think that first one, it probably means by any of those 5 activly taking part in the attempt. So we could say send KCjack to record an interview and then play that I guess.

The second point, we'll have support staff to keep track of things like that and presumably we'd tell the interviewees about that.

So consider all those taken into consideration :)
Dru
Administrator
Administrator

Next

Return to The Pub